Associate General Counsel
Posted on Monday, May 1, 2023
Celestia is the first modular blockchain network. By decoupling consensus from execution, Celestia enables anyone to easily deploy their own blockchain, without the overhead of bootstrapping a new consensus network. Blockchains on Celestia are free from constraints, making them scalable, sovereign, and secure.
About the Team
Celestia Labs is remote first and highly distributed, with English as our primary language for communication. We are looking for self-starters that are excited about working in a fast paced startup environment. We do not require employees to live in specific timezones, but much of the team lives and works in the European and US timezones. As such, employees are expected to be available as needed for team and company events that are scheduled. Generally these are scheduled between 12pm-5pm UTC.
Celestia Labs is seeking an experienced Associate General Counsel to support our day-to-day legal affairs. You’ll be a critical member of our legal team, joining and reporting to our General Counsel. Providing strategic legal advice across the entire project, you will be able to handle multiple areas of responsibilities autonomously, demonstrating excellent critical judgement with hands-on approach. This is a great opportunity to work on novel legal issues relating to cryptocurrencies and web3, as well as provide advice across multiple departments and play a key role in supporting a cutting-edge project.
- Flexible and remote work environment
- Competitive salary and meaningful long-term compensation package
- Stipends for home office and coworking space
- Full-team onsites twice per year and smaller-team onsites more frequently
- Budget for conference attendance and professional development
- 4 weeks annual vacation
- Proactively provide risk-weighted advice to business leaders that incorporates well-supported views on legal, regulatory, and financial risks and proposed solutions.
- Manage relationships with external legal teams and other legal services providers.
- Support all commercial and contractual matters by drafting, negotiating, and closing a wide variety of agreements and managing related processes. Regularly update templates and forms to comply with changes in law and changes in the market.
- Collaborate with business and operational partners across the project to address legal needs related to the project’s strategic, financial and operational goals.
- Manage legal records and organize corporate governance processes for entities in multiple jurisdictions.
What You'll Bring
- A law degree from a leading law school and a license to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
- 3-5 years of relevant legal experience at a top law firm and/or in-house legal department for a fintech, cryptocurrency or web3 company.
- Strong knowledge of legal and regulatory principles relevant to cryptocurrencies and web3 across multiple jurisdictions, including financial market regulations, securities laws, taxation, and AML/CFT rules.
- Strong knowledge of legal concepts related to software IP and open-source software development.
- Detail-oriented and resourceful with excellent follow-through skills. Excellent ability to handle multiple projects autonomously.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements.
- Flexible and adaptable in a quickly changing, high-growth environment.
- Expert communicator, verbally and in writing, who is capable of explaining complicated topics to those without legal training.
- Skilled at problem-solving with a pragmatic, business-minded approach to legal analyses and risk assessments.
Nice to Have's
- Experience working in cross-border legal environments, including with counterparts based in Liechtenstein, Switzerland, or the Cayman Islands.
While experience in the blockchain space is preferred – having general excitement about web3 and modular blockchain technology is a must!
See more open positions at Celestia Labs
Something looks off?