DevOps Engineer - Engineering Operations
Software Engineering, Operations
Remote · London, UK
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2023
Chainlink Labs is the primary contributing developer of Chainlink, the decentralized computing platform powering the verifiable web. Chainlink is the industry-standard platform for providing access to real-world data, offchain computation, and secure cross-chain interoperability across any blockchain. Chainlink Labs helps power verifiable applications for banking, DeFi, global trade, and gaming by collaborating with some of the world’s largest financial institutions, notably Swift, DTCC, and ANZ. Chainlink Labs also works with top Web3 teams, including Aave, Compound, GMX, Maker, and Synthetix. Chainlink Labs was ranked in Newsweek’s 100 Most Loved Workplaces 2023 in both the United States and United Kingdom.
The Engineering Team
At Chainlink Labs, our engineering team pushes the scale and capabilities of decentralized applications across the industry. The Chainlink Network holds >70% market share in the oracle space, solving real-world problems by enabling smart contracts to securely interact with off-chain data/computation.
We value talented and driven craftsmen who work collaboratively to tackle complex challenges, deliver product impact, and grow as builders. Join us and shape the future of blockchain technology and decentralized finance.
About the Role
The Engineering Operations team supports product teams by providing specialized expertise required to keep products in a safe and reliable functioning condition while maximizing delivery velocity. Engineering Operations functions as a security, release, and operational layer ensuring optimal balance between feature delivery velocity and product stability. We focus on minimizing operational risk, improving tempo, and automating manual processes that prevent software delivery from being repeatable and stable.
DevOps Engineer combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. Much of our software development focuses on building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation. We are distributed across time zones and continents, and we embrace remote work.
In the EngOps team, we follow the infrastructure-as-code approach and practice GitOps. We all have different backgrounds and are determined to help you succeed no matter where you are or who you are. If you think you would do a great job at Chainlink, we are looking forward to speaking with you, even if you don't match 100% of the job requirements: those describe people we've usually had a great time working with, but they're not a tick-box exercise.
- Automate and reduce complexities around product operations
- Evangelize and enact best practices as experts
- Make tooling user-friendly and accessible to create self-sufficient operational experts across the company and our network of Node Operators
- Continue delivering operational tasks in agreed SLOs to expand scalability and reliability
- Deliver high product velocity while protecting reliability and operability
- Pair with engineers from across the company to help with troubleshooting, deploy new services, and figure out how to increase developer velocity and eliminate pain points
- Support production systems by being on-call
- Provide technical leadership for the local team and work closely with partner team technical leads
- Excitement for blockchain, Web 3.0, and similar decentralized technologies
- Be willing to go on-call. Reliability is our most important feature, because on-call is an essential component of a reliable system we take it very seriously
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience in DevOps or SRE and Software engineering background. We’re big on building internal tools and automation, doing code reviews, etc.
- Experience designing and implementing automation tools in one or more programming languages
- Experience with CI/CD. You know how to deploy your services reliably and have used tools like GitHub Actions, CirceCI, TravisCI, or Jenkins to achieve that
- Experience with scripting and configuration management. You can write scripts to automate routine tasks and have familiarity with tools like Ansible, Puppet and Chef
- Experience with infrastructure provisioning tools helping to create and manage a collection of related resources like Terraform, CloudFormation (AWS), Azure Resource Manager (ARM), Google Cloud Deployment Manager, etc.
- Experience with distributed systems and container orchestration. You have maintained or even built Kubernetes clusters before and feel comfortable deploying complete new services on them or have familairy with Docker
- Experience with Git-based version control systems that keep track of changes to code, configuration and enable collaboration
- Strong communication skills. It’s a fully remote job that requires working with multiple stakeholders across all of Engineering. Great communication is as essential as the technical knowledge for this role
- Experience working in fully remote teams across time zones. We are spread out across time zones and prefer asynchronous communication and documenting our work instead of calling meetings
- Experience working in scale-up companies of a similar size or early-stage startups
- Experience in blockchain or DeFi space
- Experience with monitoring and logging. You know how to export metrics to Prometheus, have built a Grafana dashboard or two, and have experience with a centralized logging solution like the Elastic Stack, Spunk or LogDNA
- Contributions to open-source projects or participation in tech communities. Being involved with the greater tech community, working with people outside of the company, mentoring other people, giving conference talks—in other words, the desire to share knowledge
All roles with Chainlink Labs are global and remote-based. Unless otherwise stated, we ask that you try to overlap some working hours with Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Chainlink Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, or ordinances. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need when applying for a role or in our recruitment process, please contact us via this form.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants