Senior Site Reliability Engineer, Release Engineering
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2024
Chainlink Labs is the primary contributing developer of Chainlink, the decentralized computing platform powering the verifiable web. Chainlink is the industry-standard platform for providing access to real-world data, offchain computation, and secure cross-chain interoperability across any blockchain. Chainlink Labs helps power verifiable applications for banking, DeFi, global trade, and gaming by collaborating with some of the world’s largest financial institutions, notably Swift, DTCC, and ANZ. Chainlink Labs also works with top Web3 teams, including Aave, Compound, GMX, Maker, and Synthetix. Chainlink Labs was ranked in Newsweek’s 100 Most Loved Workplaces 2023 in both the United States and United Kingdom.
The Engineering Team
At Chainlink Labs, our engineering team pushes the scale and capabilities of decentralized applications across the industry. The Chainlink Network holds >70% market share in the oracle space, solving real-world problems by enabling smart contracts to securely interact with off-chain data/computation.
We value talented and driven craftsmen who work collaboratively to tackle complex challenges, deliver product impact, and grow as builders. Join us and shape the future of blockchain technology and decentralized finance.
All roles with Chainlink Labs are globally remote based. We encourage you to apply regardless of your location.
The Infrastructure Platform team enables Chainlink development and empowers engineers to continue building and supporting crucial products and services that have a profound impact in the blockchain industry. Recently, Chainlink crossed $7 trillion TVE (total value enabled) as an undisputed leader in the oracle space. Reliability is vital to the success of our company. As a staff SRE, you will help us accelerate and enable other engineering teams by increasing self-service and decreasing cognitive load. Key initiatives surrounding our mission include architecting and building a services catalog and an internal developer platform.
This job would be perfect for someone who has a strong DevOps mentality, is passionate about building and maintaining a mature GitOps environment, and has experience building and growing an internal developer platform. The entire engineering team is expanding, and you would have plenty of opportunities to build, learn, and grow.
We are distributed across time zones and continents, and we embrace remote work. Our on-call rotation uses the follow-the-sun pattern: you will be on-call some of the time, but your shifts will be during your day and our team is large.
We all have different backgrounds and are determined to help you succeed no matter where you are or who you are. If you think you would do a great job at Chainlink, we are looking forward to speaking with you, even if you don't match 100% of the job requirements: those describe people we've usually had a great time working with, but they're not a tick-box exercise.
- Build and orchestrate large, distributed infrastructure with a focus on automation
- Shape the resilience, efficiency, and scalability of our services
- Partner with engineers from across the company to help troubleshoot issues, deploy solutions, and accelerate their velocity
- Innovate and enhance the infrastructure platform team’s product offerings to increase self service, improve cost optimization, and reduce toil
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to your team and others
- Champion best practices in reliability, security, and cloud infrastructure to help cultivate a culture of high operational standards
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience. You probably have worked on a release engineering, devops, infrastructure, SRE, and/or platform team before
- Experience in building and deploying or extending an internal, ephemeral test and development environments to reduce cognitive burden and increase efficiency of engineering teams
- Have led large cross-team initiatives and can demonstrate a successful track record with quantifiable metrics that impact the business
- Practical experience in shell scripting and demonstrable skills in at least one higher-level language such as Python, Golang, or similar
- Systems engineering experience (can operate code - Linux, command line, bash, cloud infra)
- Previous experience working with software releases. You have been involved in either releasing software or have worked closely with other teams in the process
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines monitoring, logging, alerting is a plus
- Responsible for code pipelines (CI/CD) which have been used to build, test and deploy software to production
- Experience with distributed systems and container orchestration
- Experience with git for software version control
- Strong communication skills. You can give and receive constructive feedback, and you do not shy away from planning meetings and code reviews
- Familiar with most tools from our stack (see below)
- Excitement for blockchain, Web 3.0, and similar decentralized technologies.
- Experience running any infrastructure in the blockchain/web3 space is a plus
- Ability to scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity
- Experience with internal, ephemeral test and development environments
- Experience implementing self service tooling
- Developed strategies for using Software Build of Materials (SBOM), artifact signing and verification
- Passion for security
- Experience with setting team priorities (OKRs) and aligning business processes required to get a product/service from ideation to production (PRD, RFC, etc)
- Experience working remotely in a distributed team
- A strong desire to grow and challenge yourself. We would expect you to constantly find ways to improve and automate services to reduce toil
We adhere to the GitOps approach to infrastructure and state management. Self service and automation through our internal developer platform is paramount.
Some of the tools and services we use daily or almost daily are:
AWS; Terraform/Terragrunt; Kubernetes, ArgoCD; GitHub Actions; Grafana; GoReleaser; Changesets; Pulumi
We expect you to be comfortable with many of these tools or have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts the tools are applied to.
All roles with Chainlink Labs are global and remote-based. Unless otherwise stated, we ask that you try to overlap some working hours with Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Chainlink Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, or ordinances. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need when applying for a role or in our recruitment process, please contact us via this form.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants